Call for Submissions: Stories of Strength
Those who’ve been affected by Hurricane Katrina will need our help for years to come. This is one way writers can help in an ongoing way.
Stories of Strength will be an anthology of essays, poems, and stories produced by the members of AbsoluteWrite.com, with 100% of the proceeds to be donated to the Red Cross for disaster relief. It will be released in paperback by Lulu, with a possible e-book version as well.
Writers are asked to participate by donating work to this anthology.
Reprints and simultaneous submissions are fine. Please do not submit more than two pieces.
The stories are meant to be uplifting. They may be humorous, dramatic, or inspirational; they may be nonfiction or fiction. Please avoid expletives—this is a PG-rated book.
Possible sections include:
1. Physical strength: e.g., running a marathon, recovering from a car accident, climbing a mountain.
2. Strength of spirit: Finding faith even when the situation looks grim.
3. Borrowing strength: When a friend helped you through a trying time, when a community came together to help a family, etc.
4. Role models of strength: Stories of people you admire for their resilience.
5. The strength to start over: Stories about building a new life after alcoholism, drug addiction, divorce, death of a loved one, etc.
We would also appreciate tips sheets related to emergency preparations for natural disasters.
-What to do in case of a fire
-What to do in case of a hurricane
-What belongs in an emergency kit
It’s okay if your idea doesn’t fit neatly into one of these sections.
We prefer submissions to be a maximum of 1200 words, but this is not a hard cut-off. (We will absolutely not accept anything beyond 2000 words.) Shorter stories and poems are welcomed.
You retain the rights to your work; all we require is one-time anthology rights.
Please send your work in the body of an e-mail to (Ms.) Macallister Stone at macallisterstone @ yahoo.com and be sure to put the word STRENGTH in the subject line.
The deadline is not firm and will depend on the volume of submissions, but we’d like to receive submissions by Friday, September 16th.
To follow the progress of this project, please visit http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18397 .